ECG Day 12: Boston to Marblehead

Our final day on the bikes: a short commute from the campground to the ferry terminal, a ninety minute boat ride, and then the final 25 miles to Marblehead, from downtown Boston to the north shore.

The first boat left at 10:30 and the lines were long with tourists and their luggage. We chatted with a couple who had just completed a trans-america ride from Washington state through the northern states, riding for more than 80 days. They were excited to be done... and to be honest, so were we.

The crowds cleared out, and we had the second ferry almost to ourselves. "It's like having our own private yacht!" Bill marvelled. As we waited to board, a huge ocean sunfish plied the waters of the harbor, looking every bit like a shark lazily circling with its dorsal fin out of the water. Quite a sight - I had never seen one before.

The ride out of Boston was easy and flat, and before we knew it, we were riding the Lynn shore, just a few miles south of Marblehead, enjoying the glorious views of the strand at low tide. We paused at the "Now Entering Marblehead" sign to take pictures. Bill had an ear-to-ear smile.  "I can't believe I rode my bike here," he said, shaking his head. A friendly man stopped to help out with the photos.  "From Delaware?" he exclaimed in the local accent, "Now that's a haul!".  Er-yup, that's a haul.

Note: Rene was waiting for us with COVID test kits in hand, and I'm happy to report we both passed - just a precaution before we spend the next few days staying with her aunt, Florence, who will be 101 this year, and still lives in the house she grew up in. I will upload more photos when I have internet.










Comments

  1. Woot! Super fun "riding" along with you (and a LOT easier). Thank you for the excellent blog, pictures and the opportunity to live vicariously. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ECG Day 7: Little Rhody

ECG Day 2: In The Footsteps of Ida

ECG Day 1: New Castle, DE to Bensalem, PA